The Existence Of Hope

hope,


living with hope is like living
one
day
at
a
time

hope,

it's like waiting for brand new things to happen,
things untouched, unseen, unimagined

hope,

it puts faith into use

hope,

it helps us accept reality, so we can move toward a different one

hope,

is living open ended, not close minded
realizing there is beauty in
what could be; not shutting down in fear,
it's reaching out to the possibility
and pondering something new when the current has failed
or brought us disappointment

hope,

it's not getting tangled up or choking over concerns
it's facing them as a sojourner and exploring them with new eyes

hope,

it's an ever finding new found freedom


I wrote this poem several years ago when I was really struggling and going through pivotal life changes. It's helped me a lot, as writing anything usually does. I wanted to share it today, because I'm closing in on my daughter's second to last year of school, {she'll be a Senior in the Fall}, and recently and in the next few years, there will be so many changes for me. I will be an "empty-nester" at the age of 39; that's so hard to believe for me! Crazy.

I will be needing to sort of find a new lifestyle in a sense, but more about that when the time comes, because I don't want to rush it in any way! But when I write, especially poetry, it helps put things into perspective and I'm able to pray over the poems, and they are fast, simple lifestyle, spiritual reminders. I mean we are so empty without hope, and I don't think we remember that enough.


How often are we left feeling unfulfilled, or disappointed, or sad, or frustrated, or out of control, or stunned, or scared, or crippled by fear? How often do we feel defeated, overwhelmed, and anxious? How often do we feel tired, wore out, and lifeless? How often do we feel overcome, helpless, and despair? That is what hope is for! So no matter what you are going through--you still have hope, no one can take that away from you. You are never without hope no matter what. Hope is boundless and endless and abundant!


Here are a few things Thomas Merton says about hope that I've been reading this past week:


-We are not perfectly free until we live in pure hope.
For when our hope is pure, it no longer trusts exclusively
in human and visible means, nor rests in any visible end. 


-Hope is proportionate to detachment. It brings our souls
into the state of the most perfect detachment. {This one was tough for me to get at first, but think about it, it will come to you if it hasn't already, BRILLIANT!}


-Hope casts us into the arms of God's mercy and providence.


-Nothing created is of any ultimate use without hope. Oh the possibilities!

Taken in NE Minneapolis/April


Oh, P.S. check out my new little video made from a new app my husband has on his phone-it's so cute! I made two this weekend. Well, ok, here is the other one while we're at it! I hope you enjoy them!



Comments

Ashley said…
What a beautiful poem!
Lora said…
beautifully written, as usual!
bridget anne said…
i adore this. hope & optimism are so important. i think choosing them is always a higher value than the alternative. love your blog!
Unknown said…
Let me know if you'd still like to swap buttons, mine is available on my blog :)
I love this:
"Hope casts us into the arms of God's mercy and providence."

And, I love that app! i just downloaded it!!
Yes Gina, you are entering the letting go...and holding on zone....but in reality your setting the ground work for a loving adult relationship with your daughter...all of it such hard work...but oh so worth it. Being further on the road...I am beginning to see light. Yes hope is a necessary beacon !

much love!
Unknown said…
Hope. Love it. Your writing is beautiful, your following quotes reverberate your poem and your purpose for writing it couches the entire post in a beautiful collection of words honoring your love for your daughter. I thought it was incredibly special and inspiring.

Happy seeing beautiful!
Elisha said…
this is BEE-UTIFUL Ginaa!! (:
Unknown said…
gina, how are you!? hope you're well, and thee poems are absolutely inspiring! you are such a talented poet!

last month, i took some time off of blogging, and thank you for always remembering to visit when i don't.. i really appreciate you, and hope you have a fab day!!

xoxo
jasmine
❤AdamAlexMommy❤
Jean said…
Gina,
love this <3 you're correct, no one can take hope away!

and yes, i love being with my family. my sisters are my best friends and i could not get enough time w/ them and their kids. i think in time, you realize what's more important to you... i used to be so sad when i worked wkends, but am so happy i no longer do :)

do enjoy these times w/ your daughter as much as you can. is she planning to go out of the twin cities for college? the relationship you guys have is beautiful. i don't remember having that kind of relationship w/ my mom in my teens. but i think we've grown a better relationship as i grew... :) she has become more of a friend and mother rather than just a mom :)
"it's not getting tangled up or choking over concerns it's facing them as a sojourner and exploring them with new eyes"

gorgeous encouragement. you bless me richly.
praising jesus for using you, friend! xo
HopeUnbroken said…
sorry i'm a little late getting to this one.
you had to know i'd love anything you had to write about THIS particular topic :-)
love it. every last word.
in a very real sense, i think perhaps it is just as much hope as love that makes the world go 'round. . .
love to you,
steph
Bonnie said…
We are nothing without hope. I love the meaning behind this post.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Stephanie said…
This is beautiful. I'm so happy to have found my way over to your blog to read this today.
his little lady said…
what a beautiful poem you wrote! thank you for sharing!!
xo TJ

Popular Posts