Embrace Your Face Friday

Ok, I'm trying something new and different, I hope you
are all on board!

As you can see the name of the post is 'Embrace Your Face Friday', and
the whole meaning behind this is to have all of us "embrace our face"
even if we only have it in us to do it ONCE a week, I think it's worth it.

Here's the idea:

I have had insecurities ever since I can remember.
Every girl pretty much does, and as
we enter into
adolescent years, I think the insecurities can become bigger
and "bad-er", due to all the peer pressure experienced in High School
and the strong desire to be liked by boys.
Other reasons that work against our insecurities is being exposed to a lot of media; movies, magazines etc. etc.

I also am aware that women into their 20's and 30's, 40's and even 50's-- still have those similar insecurities.
I think we do become more confident
physically through the years, but I know it can be a constant struggle
for many women--myself included.

I developed an eating disorder
in HS, and I was bound by that for a good 15 years--and to this day
it's an effort to EMBRACE MY FACE.

There are insecurities of all sorts, not only the physical, but deeper within--
a lot more develop as we grow and experience life.
When we get married, have children and hold jobs, insecurities will naturally
increase.

The insecurities of wondering if we are valued employees,
if we are smart enough in school,
if we fit in with our peers,
if we are raising good kids,
being a wonderful and loving wife,
helping out enough at church,
giving to charity,
keeping a clean house,
pressure pressure pressure---doesn't let up.
And the LIST goes on--we are surrounded and flooding in insecurities
so how bout one day a week, for starters we EMBRACE FACE.

Join with me in looking at yourself --(because let's be honest, it ain't easy)-in the mirror today and name
ONE thing you like about yourself! JUST ONE, at LEAST one.
There has got to be
SOMEthing you can embrace. I know there are many.

Usually we go throughout our mornings when we are getting ready
or putting make-up on-- quick to put ourselves down
and highlight in our heads all the things we DON'T like.

This is the very reason I wanted to start EMBRACE YOUR FACE because it gives us a new way to approach the day, with the intention to not put ourselves down--at least in these moments in the morning.

By challenging ourselves in this way, we can build positive thoughts, gain confidence, and to look
at ourselves in a new light. We can find what's beautiful about the way God made us.

Find something; is it a mole that always bothered you before?
Could you look at that differently now, embrace it somehow?
How bout some freckles? Dimples? Is it your hair color? Your lips?
Maybe you have never been too fond of your nose?

Or for some of us older gals---is it some new wrinkles? Age spots?

And it doesn't even have to be something on your face. Be creative if you know what I mean.

I am the first one to admit to my insecurities. I even use to not liking have my photo taken--
I've learned to outgrow that, and now I actually like to have photos of me for my daughter to
have someday. She will have a good variety to share with her children's children's--
so I've been very intentional about snapping shots of me. Which for me is like EMBRACE Your FACE.

So here's my snap shot--(my daughter took)-I could tell you
all the things I DON'T LIKE about my face here--

but instead, I'll tell you a few things I LIKE:



For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13-14

2 things I choose to EMBRACE:
*my natural hair color -(I have not dyed it in 2 years)
*my smile- (I use to hate my smile actually--I have been
told by many that it is crooked) I have learned to and
chosen to EMBRACE my smile.

Now YOU try. And PLEASE PLEASE I'd love to hear
from you, leave me a comment!!!


I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. ~Author Unknown

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beauty comes in all sizes, not just size 5. ~Roseanne

Comments

amy o said…
Thanks Gina! What a nice post. Today I will embrace my gray hair and my age spots...I've earned them. :)
Anonymous said…
You write "When we get married, have children and hold jobs, insecurities will naturally increase."

You are a beautiful lady, inside and out. I don't know why you would think that. Being an accomplished writer too, I think you that sentence deserves a rewrite, meaning, 'increase' should be changed to 'subside'.

Julie
Julie--thank you so so much for reading and for your comment, it means more to me than you could know! I totally see what you are saying, I should have said "NEW insecurities arise" or something like that! Because you are right, as we age I think our insecurities do subside quite a bit. I think in the moment I was thinking that as we get married, have children and hold jobs there are new insecurities that naturally arise....
Thank you again!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh Gina... Your heart & soul are inspiring in every way possible. I'm so glad you commented on my blog because it brought me to yours! I wish you only the beautiful things in life, darling. <3

Popular Posts