Is COVID-19 Speaking?

Does the recent Coronavirus have something to tell us?

Like most overwhelming or underwhelming situations have something to say to us, I believe Coronavirus is no different.

Does not pain speak? Grief?

Does not happiness speak? Good news?

Does not joy, sorrow, confusion usually speak?

My husband has been WFH, (for you Gen X'ers or Boomers that stands for 'working from home'), for over a week now. Not his company specifically, but the building that his start-up is in, had a Coronavirus scare so they closed the whole building in San Francisco almost two weeks ago.

Here's where we set up shop for my husband:
Our bedroom

This was my first priority as I am home most days and he's cramping my style! His little space will have to do for now but maybe I could bring him some flowers or something?

Within the first day, my husband was walking around taking breaks in our apartment saying, "Argh I'm so restless, I'm going stir crazy!!!" 
To be honest I rolled my eyes. Give me a break I thought, look at me, I've been home for the last thirteen years learning how to be in a space, (stuck at home), and place, (not working and no career and nowhere to go), that I don't want to be in! I told him, "You can handle a few weeks!"

That was my first response. I added, "Do you realize how hard I worked being ok in our old house or this apartment moving from room to room???? It took years to have a healthy state of mind around being in solitude and silence. Why don't you just try!"

I also had a friend over a month or so ago that needed to use my wifi because hers was down. I admit I was a bit self-conscience to have her here all day. Not because I don't trust and love her or because I'm uncomfortable with her or anything but because I was embarrassed. She was sitting on the blue chair in our living room and I was moving from room to room doing various chores. Whether I was making lunch, doing dishes, or walking into my bedroom to put my clothes away....I was going from room to room fairly peacefully. 

I said, "Do you dig my life? Weird huh? I'm so embarrassed!" She said, "WHAT?? I love your life I want it!" I said, "WHAT!!?? I WANT YOUR LIFE!" 

There is a lot to be said about how I felt in that moment, but for now, I'll focus on what I am guessing my friend thought: I wish I could slow down.

Maybe you can relate, maybe you're going stir crazy. Maybe you're restless and want life to get back to "normal". But is life "normal"? Is running from engagement to engagement, working to the point of it becoming a distraction or addiction and exhausting all senses really normal?

Maybe COVID-19 is speaking. Maybe it wants us to regain some simplicity? Maybe it wants to retreat us back into the present. Maybe it wants to give us a break, (keeping in mind the infected ones, of course, are struggling more).

COVID-19 cannot take away the sea, the trees the connection to creation. 
Nature is calling. 



So,

If you are in a panic, so be it. My guess is you don't want to be and you won't be for long. I know God is with you in the panic. God is not trying to convince you to stop panicking. He's a feeler God, He feels too. So if it's confusion, panic, or fear, you're in good company. A gentle soul named Jesus is sitting right next to you taking your next breath for you.

If you are a service worker, a first responder, or in customer service, I am standing with you and praying for you. Your service is not forgotten and I personally wish I could help you carry this burden. It says a lot about who you are and your heart for the profession you chose, (or didn't choose)! Please stay well, and I hope you're making beautiful connections with your co-workers, patients, and customers.

If you are immuno-compromised, elderly or have an underlying health issue, just know I and many others are fighting for you by being careful and mindful to make sure we are social distancing. We understand that this is one huge way to help when we feel like there isn't much we can do. I can sense you're being held throughout the world. That's an incredible thought.

And finally, if you're working from home or social distancing and are restless and stir-crazy like my husband, here are some tips that could help you through the next few weeks:

1. When you start to sense the restlessness, bring your thought, whatever it is, maybe it's "I can't do this anymore this sucks!", to a new thought. Come back to the present moment, the only moment you're guaranteed, and try thinking this instead: "This is temporary, it feels hard but I can do it!" or "I'm thankful I can work from home and still get paid, I'm OK." or "I'm doing a good job, I'm thankful for my health." Practice mindfulness! It takes PRACTICE to be at peace, feel contentment and be mentally ok throughout the day. Go easy on yourself. Try journaling!

2. Don't apply meaning to your current situation. Most of the time we are applying something to mean something when it actually doesn't. We are unaware that we do this. It could look something like this: "Working from home or staying indoors means I have no life and that I am unproductive." Or "I'm not making a difference in life because I am not making myself useful or busy." or "Because we have this virus running rampant, it is the end as we know it and we're all going to die." Ok, that's a bit extreme, but hey, I've thought it.
Let the facts be the facts and don't get twisted up in applying meaning that isn't true or based on anything solid.

3. Pray on the spot if you feel are stir-crazy or feel helpless. Prayer and gratitude is grounding. And breathe! Breathing is like medicine. Four seconds of a big belly breath and four seconds of a big belly exhale.

4. If you aren't in the present you're either in the past or in the future. But life is in the present. Keep intentionally bringing yourself back to the present and giving it all of your attention.

5. Look for ways you can contribute or help your community from where you are! One way is working from home and social distancing. I am planning on zoom meetings or google hangouts for people at my church. That way we can pray or worship together still. We are also trying to find where our money is best spent on some kind of relief for people. 

What is this latest Coronavirus speaking to you? Does it want you to reach out to a loved one you haven't spoken to in a while? Is there an area in your home you've been wanting to organize? Is this a chance to re-think health and take new measures to make sure your immune system is strong? Is it helping you see you can reevaluate your life and slow down? Is it telling you to rest? Is it speaking of love for your neighbor?

You tell me, what is it speaking?

Are you listening?

Comments

Popular Posts